Well, it is officially "cold" in Taiwan. In all reality, it feels like Chicago's September weather, but still, it is cold enough to wear long sleeves!
We are swiftly coming to the end of our stint here in Taichung. Really unbelievable to think that we will be gone two weeks from Thursday. Nowadays, our time is filled with grading and creative meals because we don't have make a trip to the grocery store.
Speaking of meals, yesterday, I got fish from our local market and made us a Japanese style dinner... Hey, maybe we should hold off from the grocery store for a while as it seems to have made me a healthier, better cook.
I do have loads of pictures to post (including some of the fish), but as I write this, Andy is typing away at Starbucks (his second home) and is using the computer which has all the photos on it. All to say, I will post the corresponding pictures as soon as I get a-hold of the laptop.
Going back to life now, I currently have well over fifty papers & tests to grade for various classes - soon to get more as of Monday. Suffice it to say, I am going out with a bang. I now know the pains of real teaching vs. observing and teaching one lesson here and there.
It is difficult to think about leaving - on one hand, we are anxious to get home - to have a car, comfort foods, family, friends, polly, and SNOW/cold. But on the other, we have just gotten to the point where we have made some very dear friendships. Moreover, now we are beginning to get into life routines here: Saturday is market day, Tuesday is Teppenyaki night, etc. Not to mention, we are IN LOVE with the food here. All to say, thinking about going home is definitely bittersweet.
If you are praying for us, please continue to pray for perseverance in these final weeks. There is a lot to be accomplished/thought through:
-Grades
-Final lesson planning
-Online courses (for Andy and one for me as well)
-Finishing up graduation requirements (for me as I hope to graduate in December)
-Apartment hunting
-Our quickly diminishing finances
As to finding an apartment in Portland, we are certainly on the prowl. For some reason though, all of our "perfect prospects" keep falling through. Please pray that this prayer would be answered quickly and that in the mean time, we would be patient as we wait.
Well, other than posting all the pictures from various events, there is not much more to say. I will try to post once more before leaving; sorry there haven't been any recent posts lately (inconsistency is one of the themes of this blog it seems).
Happy November and whenever you start hating the cold, enjoy it for us! :)
2 comments:
Wow! I cannot believe your time is up there already! I saw your parents, Liz, a little more than a week ago and was talking with your dad about it. I am sure you will be excited to get back to the familiarity of American soil, but what a great experience you will be leaving behind! Good luck with the apartment hunting...I know one will come through for you! Take care of each other!
Jen
Well you have both been in our prayers the whole while you have been in Taiwan....but now i pray for your apt. hunting and our planned move with you guys on Dec 30th. I do shiver a bit when i think of that big rental moving truck making it over the snowy rocky mountains in Montana but i know God will guide us and that we will just have to be patient and use good winter driving judgement about each day of the trip. WE are soooooooooo excited about your return to us- much love, carolee
Post a Comment