09 August 2008

It has set in... We're Here.


As you can see (below), we are finally STARTING to settle in to our new home - both the building and the country. It has been a much more difficult transition than either of us has expected. We should have heeded the adage: expect the unexpected, unfortunately we did not. However, I know that we are not the first, nor will we be the last, to undergo culture shock... so we're learning from ourselves and the people around us how to: take walks, explore, try new things, look at things from the perspective of "new/different" and not "wrong."

If you have moved overseas before, you know what this is like and we could use any tips you've found helpful.

The bulk of our issue is the language. It is ridiculously hard and intimidating. Mandarin has different words for everything English does not. For example: if you are going to the produce market and want 1 (one) orange... you have to use the measure word for orange - you cannot simply say "I want one." OK, so the difficulty lies in the fact that there is a different measure word for orange than for banana... same with notebooks and milk, etc. Get my drift? Another example is there is no one word for the word "no." You have to say "no" in context. Like if someone asks you, "Do you want a bag?" (something every grocery store asks you every time), you cannot respond "No," you have to respond, "I do not want it." Because there is no single word for "No."

OK, I'm confusing myself even so I'll digress. Suffice it to say, it is an uphill battle with Mandarin... most of the missionaries here, who have been in Taiwan for 5+ years, know as much Mandarin as I had expected to learn in 4 months.

Things that are fun and unique to Taiwan?

Well, the garbage and recycling truck both play music like America's ice cream truck. It makes me smile to even think of it. The reason they do this is because most people around us do not have a dumpster for their building... so each day, the trucks come around playing music, and when the people hear it, they bring out their trash. :)

Something else... toilet paper is not on a roll (you can buy rolls of toilet paper but not without serious searching). Instead they come in packs like how you find Kleenex. So you take one piece at a time out of the stack.

I'm sure I'll think of/discover more later. As for now, please be praying for our adjustment. And for my adjustment to the school as well. It is not the easiest position to be a student teacher - kind of like coming in as the freshman in a high school, people don't really give you the time of day. School starts a week from Monday... eek!

We are really starting to miss home and look forward to your e-mails and comments... keep them coming!

5 comments:

Deborah Gugala said...

When we were in Turkey, we discovered that toilets were "continental style", which meant that you had to potty standing up. In jeans. In the winter. Rarely was there any TP provided. AND they made you pay 50 cents for the priviledge. Needless to say, at the end of our journey, there were a lot of constipated people in our group. Too much information? I love the good ole USA.

Anonymous said...

Liz and Andy
I hope that thru all the challenging experiences you are having, that the freshness and the energy you both bring will not be lost. Needless to say, Liz, I so miss your smile around the office! As you know, your smile was totally contagious! Stay well, and know that we are praying for both of you on your adventure.
Orlando

Anonymous said...

Maybe the garbage truck music plays because residents are so very glad to be rid of their smelly stuff..hehe That's so fun!'

The language sounds like an enormous challenge. When i am working in Africa I found this true as well, as there is no one way to say hello-- if its the first time you meet someone you say one phrase, the second time a new phrase and then after that another one. How intimidating is that as i have 300 adult students!!!Now that i have taught in these 8 areas in country four times I just found that i say the last one now- thank goodness!!Although ,just in the area our grant serves there are at least 4 tribal languages as well (that hello issue is just in one of those languages)! At 56 new lanuage skills come very slowly for me so my sympathies are with you both.But, like in most countries, if you try even if you fail they will be pleased and complemented. So go ahead and try as you learn, as the more you try the better it will feel !!
We will keep you in our prayers as you begin your teaching Liz. It will continue to be a great life adventure, of that i am sure!!

Deborah Gugala said...

What's going on??? I check every day and you have stopped writing! Just put the mundane stuff even, just let us know you are well! And Andy too :)

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
I love keeping up with your posts. I reminded people here at work that you had your blog up and running. Rodney liked the pictures. Languages can be very rough...especially non-European ones! Hang in there! You know, they say that English is actually the "hardest" language for others to learn, so maybe take solace in that. I can't wait to see how teaching goes!